Skagway and Dyea, Alaska
Stan B. Cohen
Situated at the head of Lynn Canal are two sites of much importance to the history of the Klondike Gold Rush, one of the greatest adventures North America has known. At the mouth of the Taiya River is the abandoned site of Dyea, once the gateway to the Chilkoot Trail and the water route to the interior of the Yukon. Four miles to the southeast of Dyea, at the mouth of the Skagway River, lies the other major gateway to the goldfields by way of the White Pass Trail—Skagway.
The early history of these two towns is interrelated, but today they are vastly different. Dyea has gone the way of many of the gold rush towns of the late 1800s and early 1900s—it has crumbled to the dust from which it sprang in 1897. Skagway has fared better, and along with Dawson City and a few other remains, it represents the last surviving vestiges of the gold rush.
136 pages, 8.5 x 11, paper
Item 1865, ISBN 978-093312648-0